Many, many years ago, after college but way before I became an adult, I visited my friend Sean who was living and working on a schooner in Mystic, CT. We challenged each other to name 100 things we loved about life. It was a lovely moment with a great friend, made even more special by the night time rowboat ride.
I remembered this conversation recently as I thought to myself how much I love runs in the rain. Today I’ll begin to list some things I adore about being outside. This list will probably span a few blog entries but let’s see how far I get today. I adore:
- Running in the rain with a baseball cap on–the air seems cleaner, the temperature is often lower, and dodging puddles mixes things up in just the right way
- Sitting on my covered porch and doing just about anything
- Being anywhere on islands, especially on Vinalhaven, ME
- Racing sailboats
- Crossing the finish line first (especially when the series is tight)
- Holding hands with my kids and walking at night
- Eating outside
- Drinking coffee, water, or beer outside
- Testing equipment for outdoor education. Just this week I made two plankton nets (one with a needle and a thread, and the other with duck tape) and then tested them at a local pond with my son. They both worked!
- Hiking (I need to do this more often!)
- Watching sunsets
- Walking outdoors at night alone–this has been one of the greatest discoveries of my 365 day journey so far
- Riding my bike–it is the closest I come these days to feeling like a kid again
- Competing in races: finished the Tri for a Cure a few weeks back and will be running the Trails to Ale 10K with my team “Grin and Beer It”